Share button

Monday, May 17, 2021

The Daily Word for May 17, 2021

 


commensalism - noun - an association between two organisms in which one benefits and the other receives neither benefit nor harm (Google)


I first came across "commensalism" when I was my high school biology class. Although the memory is hazy, I recall differentiating between parasitic and commensalistic relationships, the former being more baneful than the latter. Years and years later, I find myself asking, Why is it that longevity in human relations often depends on commensalism? I don't know about you, but it seems that a lot of second marriages reflect commensalism. For example, one marries the other for money, makes it clear, but the passive partner (the one not benefiting) does not seem to care either way as long as he or she is not alone. Sadly, people will go the distance in order to cohabitate, particularly after retirement. Those who stand alone are viewed as strong, but not particularly happy. I read somewhere that married people are ten percent more content than single people. That's not a huge difference and may not even be worth mentioning. 

Personally, whatever floats your boat is okay with me. Commensalism, after all, is innocuous–or so says Google. 

Happy Monday to all of you, married or single.


#word of the day, #vocabulary, #writers, #writers and poets, #words, #inspiration, #optimism, #inspiring words, #humor


#inspirational thoughts, #inspiration, #inspirational words, #words of wisdom, #affirmation, #optimism, #poets and writers, #writers community, #writers, #readers #writing #poetry #poets on tumblr #poem #authors #quotes





No comments:

Post a Comment

Notes from the L.A. Writing Conference

  bumptious - adjective - self-assertive to an irritating degree Suffice it to say, I have been writing, publishing, and selling books since...