Share button

Tuesday, May 18, 2021

The Daily Word for May 18, 2021

 


chiliad - noun - a thousand things or years

I confess that I am one to exaggerate. Because I am one to exaggerate for emphasis or comic effect, a word like "chiliad" has infinite appeal. For instance, I could say that on some exhausting days I feel as though I have lived for a chiliad. Or as in today's case, I have a chiliad of chores to do. Both would fall under the category of exaggerating for emphasis as opposed to comic effect, though. I wish I had time today to be funny. 

It is hard to imagine a chiliad, hard to line up that number of things in front of you to determine the extent of it, but a thousand is a lot. Because you and I are used to hearing the words billions and trillions, a mere thousand seems paltry, and it is in comparison. But if you were lucky enough to receive that stimulus check, that $1300 and change might have made you feel fairly wealthy, at least in that moment. 

The best things in life, however, remain free. An exercise for those of you who have time would be to list all of these cheap thrills and see if you can get to a chiliad. If you can, then count your blessings as they might just add up to a chiliad.

Enjoy this Tuesday!


#word of the day, #vocabulary, #writers, #writers and poets, #words, #inspiration, #optimism, #inspiring words, #humor


#inspirational thoughts, #inspiration, #inspirational words, #words of wisdom, #affirmation, #optimism, #poets and writers, #writers community, #writers, #readers #writing #poetry #poets on tumblr #poem #authors 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Notes from the L.A. Writing Conference

  bumptious - adjective - self-assertive to an irritating degree Suffice it to say, I have been writing, publishing, and selling books since...