Share button

Wednesday, February 15, 2023

The Tinge of Roses

 


tinge - noun - trace of a color (Google)


Yesterday was one of my favorite dates on the calendar. Some may call it a "Hallmark Holiday," but I don't. To the unromantic at heart, the day is all about capitalism. Okay, people do spend an average of just under two hundred dollars on their Valentines, but perhaps a bit more than groceries spent on just the right persons makes sense, especially if these individuals are beloved. 

Call me trite, but I prefer to receive roses on Valentine's Day or any other day, but roses not tinged with red, which to me, is on the banal side because you can only stand so much of long-stemmed passion. A man who does the research in terms of the symbolism behind the colors of roses is a man who will dwell in the annals of my little black book forever. (I am, after all, a retired English teacher.)

In case you, too, are someone who seeks the symbolic significance of roses, I am here to enlighten you. Red, as you already know, is reserved for the mate whom you love with intensity. This person to you is the last of the red hot lovers and deserves no other hue than vermilion. Conversely, if the heat has waned and you need to take the back exit a.s.a.p., don't forget to leave at least one if not multiple yellow roses as they represent the end of a physical relationship and the start of platonic friendship, if that. White roses, on the other hand, point to new beginnings, which is why you tend to see brides cradling them as they trot up aisles to their smiling grooms. The love communicated is pure, innocent, if not a tad hypocritical, but I digress.

My LA man, who often does not diverge beyond a superficial path, took a walk on the wild side and sent me lavender roses for Valentine's Day. Whether or not he knew their symbolic value is dubious, but I do know and that's all that matters. Ladies, if your gentlemen send you lavender roses, you are lucky as the the tinge is all about love at first sight (the "ahhhhh"), true devotion and appreciation. All three rank highly in my book, probably because I have never had anything against love at first sight (Romeo and Juliet aside) or loyalty or genuine respect. They are all winners. 

So, in the future, ask for lavender, not red. If he or she asks why, tell him or her to look up the symbolism. If nothing else, you'll have something new and different to chat about. 


#word-to-words, #slice-of-life,  #blog, #blogging, #editorial, #reading, #vocabulary, #ReadersMagnet, #spilled thoughts, #good advice, #personal-essay, #writing community, #writing, #CreativeSuggestion 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Notes from the L.A. Writing Conference

  bumptious - adjective - self-assertive to an irritating degree Suffice it to say, I have been writing, publishing, and selling books since...