Share button

Thursday, July 8, 2021

The Daily Word for July 8, 2021

 


bingle - noun - (Australian, informal) - a collision


Leave it to the Aussies to coin a comical term for something serious. Gotta love their sense of humor! After finishing Sebastian Junger's The Perfect Storm, a book about an actual bingle between a nor'easter and Hurricane Grace that I probably should have read when it was on the New York Times' bestseller list in 1997, I am finding myself in the middle of an analogous bingle, two named storms: my boss and my colleague with colliding points of view. If you work for anyone and with anyone of opposing viewpoints, you know what it is like to be stuck playing Monkey in the Middle. When in this unfavorable position, you tend to favor your boss's perspective over your colleague's for obvious reasons. The biggest one being that if you side with your colleague, who also happens to be someone you admire and a friend, chances are you will wind up losing your job. If you side with your boss, you may wind up losing your colleague as a friend. My problem is that my boss is also someone whom I respect and a friend. Most of you are thinking, The solution to her problem doesn't amount to rocket science. She needs to listen to her boss. I know. And I will, but it doesn't mean I feel good about it as the bingle between the two forces may not turn out well for my colleague if my boss finds out that he is trying to undermine her. I may have to keep the plans for his attempted coup to myself. 

In life, it is hard to deal with bingles, actual as well as metaphorical ones. The best advice is try to avoid all such entanglements, if humanly possible. If you do find yourself in a similar position that I am in now, do what you can to remain afloat. All storms, even perfect ones, wind up passing in a day or so. And even the resulting damage from them can usually be remedied in time. 

Friday is tomorrow. Whew! 


#word of the day, #vocabulary, #writers, #writers and poets, #words, #inspiration, #optimism, #inspiring words, #humor, #spilled thoughts, #motivation, #inspirational thoughts, #inspiration, #inspirational words, #words of wisdom, #affirmation, #optimism, #poets and writers, #writers community, #writers, #readers #writing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Notes from the L.A. Writing Conference

  bumptious - adjective - self-assertive to an irritating degree Suffice it to say, I have been writing, publishing, and selling books since...