Share button

Thursday, July 22, 2021

The Daily Word for July 22, 2021

 


ragtop - noun - a convertible car with a soft roof (Lexico.com)


I don't know about you, but I often find myself waxing nostalgic, not that everything was perfect fifty years ago, but there were a few things that have left the planet, such as genuine customer service, hassle-free flying on commercial carriers, the music and artists of the '60s and '70s (which I still have via my record albums), and colorful cars (the ragtops) that I really miss. When I was five years old back in 1963 (okay, feel free to do the math to uncover my age), my dream car was an all-white Mustang ragtop, the kind a Barbie doll might tool around in, oblivious to race riots and a pointless war in Southeast Asia. For me, that car was bliss in concrete terms. I'd search for one today if it wasn't for the fact that parts might be nearly impossible to find should it break down, and you and I both know it would. I did own a 1979 Mustang once and it lasted a year before it blew a rod. Unfortunately, fantasy and reality are two different concepts. 

Still, we need fantasy. And we need it badly today. So feel free to reflect back on all that was once seemingly flawless in your naive youth. It is okay not to accept reality in order to accept it eventually, once you wake up from the reverie. You will always have the imagery to hold onto even if your favorite aspects of the past have died. 

Enjoy the day! 


#word of the day, #vocabulary, #writers, #writers and poets, #words, #inspiration, #optimism, #inspiring words, #humor, #spilled thoughts, #motivation, #inspirational thoughts, #inspiration, #inspirational words, #words of wisdom, #affirmation, #optimism, #poets and writers, #writers community, #writers, #readers #writing


No comments:

Post a Comment

Notes from the L.A. Writing Conference

  bumptious - adjective - self-assertive to an irritating degree Suffice it to say, I have been writing, publishing, and selling books since...