Share button

Thursday, March 4, 2021

The Daily Word for March 4, 2021

 


sagacious - adjective - clever, shrewd, showing good judgment


Can sagacity lead to optimism? I would say yes, and I'll explain after I impart a bit of exposition.

I first discovered the word "sagacious" when I was an undergrad at Bucknell in the late 1970s. For some class, and I don't remember which one, the professor assigned Henry Fielding's classic novel Tom Jones. For whatever reason, "sagacious" seemed to be the singular most used word in the book. Ergo, after looking its denotation up in the dictionary (yes, we did that back in the dark ages), I used it quite regularly myself if only to guarantee  permanent placement in my long term memory. I'm sure I impressed a few peers as well. 

And now back to the answer to the initial question: Sagacity can lead to optimism. If you are sagacious, you most likely own at least a modicum of common sense, which isn't terribly common. If you do, then you know that life is a paradox or balance. After a period of dread, there has to be a period of confidence. Since we have been in an abyss for a year now, the sagacious optimists can see a ladder leading up into the sunshine. All we have to do is garner the courage to climb it. Don't think about it. Just do it. 

Enjoy your Hump Day! 

#inspirational thoughts, #inspiration, #inspirational words, #words of wisdom, #affirmation, #optimism, #poets and writers, #writers community, #writers, #readers #writing #poetry #poets on tumblr #poem #authors #quotes

No comments:

Post a Comment

L.A. as a Parallel Universe of New York?

  parallel universe - noun - a world conceived of as coexisting with and having certain similarities to the known world but different from i...