Share button

Monday, March 29, 2021

The Daily Word for March 29, 2021

 

abibliophobia - noun - afraid of running out of things to read


All five of you following (and I'm being optimistic), please excuse me for not generating posts over the weekend. I was preparing mentally for my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine and didn't want to impart to you miscellaneous paranoid phobias, the least of which being abibliophobia. I'm guessing that you have never heard of this word? Neither has this platform as every time I type it, a red dotted line appears beneath it as if to scream, "WTF! This isn't a word. And if it is, it isn't spelled correctly." 

Today as I lie supine in bed, dealing with the minor aches and pains associated with a mild case of COVID, side effects of the vaccination that prove that the immune system is active, I now believe that there was no legitimate cause for abibliophobia. For whatever reason, reading materials surround me. I have The New Yorker, an esteemed publication that has rejected my creative writing consistently yet I still harbor no grudges; Time, the magazine that keeps me current; and a few shelves of somewhat current nonfiction and classic fiction, all of which deserve to be read. As a writer, you are, after all, what you read. As I am a classic (over 60), the antique authors appeal to me. To me, they have been mentors and teachers far superior to any creative writing professors I had in grad school. Why? They know without a doubt how to craft the English language well. 

In closing, if you ever develop abibliophobia and are trying to hone your skills as a writer, pick up a classic work of literature and analyze its voice. Try to imitate something that you find of value. You won't be sorry. 

Happy Full-Moon Monday! 

#word of the day, #vocabulary, #writers, #writers and poets, #words, #inspiration, #optimism, #inspiring words


#inspirational thoughts, #inspiration, #inspirational words, #words of wisdom, #affirmation, #optimism, #poets and writers, #writers community, #writers, #readers #writing #poetry #poets on tumblr #poem #authors #quotes


No comments:

Post a Comment

L.A. as a Parallel Universe of New York?

  parallel universe - noun - a world conceived of as coexisting with and having certain similarities to the known world but different from i...