Share button

Monday, August 2, 2021

The Daily Word for August 2, 2021

 

zoolatry - noun - the worship of animals (Lexico.com)


I have a few friends that practice zoolatry. You probably know a few yourself. I call them "animal people," folks that care more for critters than clans of human beings, or individuals for that matter. Of the animal worshippers, some prefer dogs over cats for companions. Some prefer cats over dogs. Others need both around them 24-7. I have one friend, the husband of a close gal pal of mine and the curator of a top zoo, has a doctorate in zoology, is known internationally for zoolatry and even has his own reality TV series. Clearly, his life revolves around creatures. 

For the most part, I have nothing against zoolatry as I am fond of animals myself and have had many pets throughout my life. However, there are extremists out there from whom you may wish to keep an arm's distance, especially romantically. Take one of my ex-beaus, for instance. He is a cat man, but no ordinary one as he takes zoolatry to a whole new level. His cat, a female that he had rescued from a dumpster years ago, transmogrified into his "daughter." As he never had children of his own, the cat became the substitute. One of the reasons why I broke things off with him ultimately was because he loved the cat more than he loved me–an obvious deal breaker. 

Now I can understand why there are persons that get caught up in zoolatry as there are pets out there that are more intelligent or likable or intuitive than most humans. I owned two dogs myself that were more emotionally invested in me than their co-owner, my ex-husband. But we have to keep a proper perspective. People need us more than most animals that could survive pretty well without us as they once had thousands of years ago before domestication. 

Words for the wise: love your mate, your children more than your dog or cat. Even if you claim you do, show your people that you do because after all, love is an action. 

Happy First Monday in August!


#word of the day, #vocabulary, #writers, #writers and poets, #words, #inspiration, #optimism, #inspiring words, #humor, #spilled thoughts, #motivation, #inspirational thoughts, #inspiration, #inspirational words, #words of wisdom, #affirmation, #optimism, #poets and writers, #writers community, #writers, #readers #writing


No comments:

Post a Comment

L.A. as a Parallel Universe of New York?

  parallel universe - noun - a world conceived of as coexisting with and having certain similarities to the known world but different from i...