Share button

Thursday, June 3, 2021

The Daily Word for June 3, 2021

 


lollygag - verb - to spend time in an aimless or lazy way (lexico.com)


Although I may be wrong (and sometimes I am), it seems to me that we writers tend to lollygag more than most. We have a propensity for staring at a blank screen, hoping for that magical moment when the five horizontal pictures of lightbulbs in our brains align, and the words come pouring out like quarters from an old-fashioned slot machine. The odds never seem to be in our favor, though, but we tend to live for those rare moments of good fortune. 

As I don't feel as those today will be my lucky day as a writer, I've decided to play hooky and attend a Yankees' baseball game with my daughter. We will lollygag together in grand style as we'll be in the bleachers with the seriously profane fans that tend to be more entertaining than what's happening on the field. Who knows? Maybe Aaron Judge will slug a ball, and after it hits me in the head, I'll have a better idea of what I'll include in Chapter 4 of my inchoate novel. That's just the kind of luck I have. 

Maybe what I'm really trying to impart is that it's good to lollygag every once in a while. Try it, but don't like it too much.


#word of the day, #vocabulary, #writers, #writers and poets, #words, #inspiration, #optimism, #inspiring words, #humor, 

#spilled thoughts, #motivation

No comments:

Post a Comment

L.A. as a Parallel Universe of New York?

  parallel universe - noun - a world conceived of as coexisting with and having certain similarities to the known world but different from i...