Share button

Tuesday, June 15, 2021

The Daily Word for June 15, 2021

 

coriaceous - adjective - like leather (Lexico.com)

Like Neil Young, I am a "miner for a heart of gold," but I am also a miner for unusual vocabulary; otherwise, I wouldn't bother to write this blog. As you well know, there are some words that the English language could do without since it boasts a lexicon of about a half a million. There is no way any human could possibly remember all of those terms."Coriaceous" is probably an adjective that could be removed from the dictionary sans anyone noticing. 

However, I could have used it myself recently as I was shopping for a coriaceous black jacket on-line. In the search bar of my MacBook, I put in "faux," but I could've easily put in "coriaceous" as it would have been the more precise, more pretentious choice. On the other hand, being that I wound up purchasing from Walmart, I guess I would not have needed the pretentious choice. Although I hesitate to do any overt advertising, especially for huge conglomerates that don't need it, the forty-dollar coriaceous jacket that I bought looks and feels like real leather. After two days, it arrived Sunday morning via Fed Ex, and Walmart picked up the shipping costs. It doesn't get much better than that. 

What's the point? Coriaceous fabric may not replace actual leather entirely, but if you can't afford the real thing, go for the cheaper alternative. Which brings another classic rock tune into mind, courtesy of the Stones: "You can't always get what you want, but if you try some time, you might find, you'll get what you need." An obscure word like "coriaceous" could fit into a similar equation. You may not want it, but sometimes you might need it. It's all relative.

Happy Tuesday!

#word of the day, #vocabulary, #writers, #writers and poets, #words, #inspiration, #optimism, #inspiring words, #humor, #spilled thoughts, #motivation, #inspirational thoughts, #inspiration, #inspirational words, #words of wisdom, #affirmation, #optimism, #poets and writers, #writers community, #writers, #readers #writing

No comments:

Post a Comment

L.A. as a Parallel Universe of New York?

  parallel universe - noun - a world conceived of as coexisting with and having certain similarities to the known world but different from i...