Share button

Sunday, May 30, 2021

The Daily Word for May 30, 2021

 


divagate - verb - to stray or digress


For some, it's easy to divagate, that is, fall off one topic and segue into another when conversing. It's like dancing at a wedding. You never know what the D.J. is going to start spinning on the turntable that will cause you to divagate quickly from the hustle to the twist. (I'm really dating myself here.) But when you speak to someone and tend to divagate often, it may be confusing for the listener. I'm thinking you know someone who does this sort of thing. I do. I have a close friend, a woman, who can jump from one topic to the next totally unrelated one without realizing it. When I question the relevance, how the two fit, she ignores me and keeps right on going. Which makes me think that her therapist isn't making any progress in the right direction. 

Anyway, it isn't easy to confabulate and stay on track these days due to myriad distractions. Yet if you tend to be the kind to divagate, give us listeners a transitional sentence or two before diving head first into an unassociated subject. We won't think you're losing your marbles if you do. 

Peace out. 


#word of the day, #vocabulary, #writers, #writers and poets, #words, #inspiration, #optimism, #inspiring words, #humor, 

#spilled thoughts, #motivation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Notes from the L.A. Writing Conference

  bumptious - adjective - self-assertive to an irritating degree Suffice it to say, I have been writing, publishing, and selling books since...