Share button

Wednesday, May 26, 2021

The Daily Word for May 26, 2021

 

misogamy - noun - hatred of marriage


Not surprisingly, misogamy is Greek in origin. The suffix "gamy" comes from "gamos," or marriage. I will have to admit that before this morning I had no idea that there was a term associated with disliking the ancient rite of passage called marriage. However, any or all divorced individuals might just need a concise four-syllable word to identify their negative stance on the subject of wedded bliss. Admittedly, I am one of those people: a misogamist. It sounds awful, but I am not alone, fortunately for me. My number 1 romantic interest out in L.A., a therapist, whom I've mentioned in this blog before, told me the other day that he supports misogamy because "people change after they are married." I can't disagree with this generalization. In my own experience, I have witnessed many who have transmogrified into various states of being after taking the wedding vows. Some have become indolent sloths, some, complacent toads, some, just entirely selfish or just plain difficult jackasses. Why this is true may have something to do with the idea of a permanent contract. People can and do take advantage of deals that purport to be unbreakable. I don't know. Those of you who have been happily married for eons have no reason to drift into misogamy. Sadly, though, you may be in the minority. Just sayin'. 

I don't mean to be a misogamist. I don't want to be a misogamist. Maybe I'm just waiting for the right person or persons to change my mind about marriage or just "modern love"? I'm open to change. 

Happy Hump Day to all, single or married or otherwise! 

#word of the day, #vocabulary, #writers, #writers and poets, #words, #inspiration, #optimism, #inspiring words, #humor, 

#spilled thoughts, #motivation


No comments:

Post a Comment

Notes from the L.A. Writing Conference

  bumptious - adjective - self-assertive to an irritating degree Suffice it to say, I have been writing, publishing, and selling books since...