Share button

Thursday, April 15, 2021

The Daily Word for April 15, 2021

 

diaspora - noun - the movement of people away from an established homeland


I don't know about you, but I have found myself doing a lot of reading over the past year, something a bit out of character for me. Everything I can get my hands on, books–mainly fiction–magazines like The New Yorker, Time, even The New York Times, the hardcopy newsprint delivered by a high-speed paperboy in his Mustang–I devour. (Just kidding. I don't know what kind of vehicle he drives. He could even be a she or they.) I even started up a book club composed of former highly literate colleagues on Zoom. Although I am not a bibliophile quite yet, my newfound passion might just be analogous to diaspora as I have given up my former homeland (outings to restaurants with friends) to migrate to a city of information, actual and fictive. 

If you aren't like me and rarely read anything even in this out-of-the-blue climate, I recommend the pastime. If nothing else, reading helps to keep the vocabulary expansive (I uncovered today's word in a book review I just read in Time) and the mind chipper. The friends with whom you text or connect on Facebook or Instagram might even be impressed with your knowledge of current events or grateful for a literary recommendation. And you could soon become the toast of your social media realm. Good things can come from print.

The weekend is almost here. Enjoy! 


#word of the day, #vocabulary, #writers, #writers and poets, #words, #inspiration, #optimism, #inspiring words


#inspirational thoughts, #inspiration, #inspirational words, #words of wisdom, #affirmation, #optimism, #poets and writers, #writers community, #writers, #readers #writing #poetry #poets on tumblr #poem #authors #quotes


No comments:

Post a Comment

L.A. as a Parallel Universe of New York?

  parallel universe - noun - a world conceived of as coexisting with and having certain similarities to the known world but different from i...