Share button

Friday, August 16, 2024

The Fickle Fate of Being a Recording Artist

 


fickle - adjective - changing frequently (Google)


Although I am aware that I am dating myself here, back in the dark ages (late 1960s, early 1970s) of television when channels were few yet not far between, I liked to watch "Ronan and Martin's Laugh-In," a bizarre variety show that was all about comedy. It was oftentimes silly, but creative, satirical, and quite a few names synonymous with humor (such as Goldie Hawn and Lily Tomlin) became household fixtures because of it. The weekly award known as the "Fickle Finger of Fate" was presented to noteworthy individuals who received media attention for their dubious achievements. We could sure use it today. Right? Not much has changed, yet I digress.

As a recording artist who stands in the same room with 75.9 million music creators (Google) is a fate that is fickle, meaning that since there are so many releasing songs, no one can predict whose music will be embraced by hundreds, thousands, millions - even billions, like artists such as Taylor Swift, who won the lottery and probably has more luck than talent (or just a financier father to back her). Spotify alone reports that it drops 100,000 new songs a day. Will all of them find open ears that will stay alert and stream them more than once? Probably not. But you never know until you take the risk of releasing a heartfelt composition to the entire world.

The aforementioned numeral supports the fact that the competition is just beyond anyone's comprehension. It seems like everyone has a song or even a book to release, and it is easy to do either if you have enough money to pay the right people. But once the product is out there, you must either spend money on just the right public relations persons, or like me, spend a lot of time and a few dollars (way more than you are making) on every social media platform promoting. At the end of the day, I am fortunate to see any results at all. And critics overseas have called me "the real deal." Well, I'm not feeling that moniker, not at all. For example, I may get 2,000 streams a month on Spotify and a minuscule pay check. Imagine one record turning 2,000 times on the radio over the course of one month. Doesn't that seem to be a lot of rotations to you? It does to me, too. However, the amount is only worth a bill with a portrait of Alexander Hamilton on it. He doesn't go far. Thank Goodness I am not depending on Spotify or any of the others to pay my rent.

Still, if my one hundred fans in Brazil like what I am putting out there on Spotify, every one of them counts. If all of them enjoy what I'm doing musically, all of the money that I am investing that I may never see back is worth sacrificing, especially since I could just be changing their worlds for the better in some minute sense. I'm sure all 75.9 million music makers are thinking the same thing except I don't give a you- know-what about fame as it only creates problems, but a little more compensation wouldn't be a bad thing as I could support more charities with it. 

I hope someday the music channels will up the ante on remuneration. Until that happens, check out my tunes on your favorite streaming service, such as YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/@gwynnielsen5081) or Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/2qiQLmWs81Zno7WFH4lLiS. My newest single "Another Woman Trying to Wear My Shoes" debuts on Friday, August 23rd. Who knows? You may be able to relate to it. 

Thanks, all! 


#word-to-words, #slice-of-life,  #blog, #blogging, #editorial, #reading, #vocabulary, #ReadersMagnet, #spilled thoughts, #personal-essay, #writing community, #writing, #truth, #society, #good advice, #critique #gwynenglishnielsen



No comments:

Post a Comment

Educational Revaluation (Reprinted from the Newark Star Ledger, September 3, 1986): Back to School Sans Change

  amenities - noun - a desirable or useful feature FORUM                                                                                    ...