Share button

Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Working for "Soul Cash"

 


"soul cash" - the gratification or "income" received when something is done voluntarily out of the goodness of the heart (Source: Jay, the electrician)


When it comes to everyday living, I have come to expect the unexpected. Philosophers can and will show up at the door on occasion. On Monday morning as I was frenetically trying to get organized for a recording session some fifty minutes south, I heard a knock at my front door. Upon opening it, I found a disheveled gnome of a man with wild, gun-metal gray hair and gaping, blue eyes, smiling intensely at me. I told him I had not made any appointments with any maintenance companies, but he insisted upon staying to give my full-house generator a tune-up. I figured that if I had dismissed him entirely, he might never come back, and I did need the machine serviced. So I told him he had 45 minutes and mentioned the session, which sparked commonality. Apparently, he was a composer experimenting with prog rock vibes, which is not surprising since just about everyone is these days. Always blatantly honest, I informed him that since 100,000 songs are released a day, there is no monetary success available in the music business and that I just put my original music out there for a few people who might get something out of it. "Oh, so you are in it for soul cash," he commented. "Soul cash?" I asked. "I made it up. It is when you do something out of the goodness of your heart, and the payback is greater than any monetary amount you could receive."

Wow! Soul cash! What a concept. Today, I started to take a mental inventory of all the soul cash I had received over the years and realized that it amounted to quite a bit. Which made me happy. How could it not? I am probably a millionaire when it comes to my soul-cash bank account. 

And the moral of the story?

If more people were intent on earning soul cash as opposed to authentic cash, the world just might be a better place. 

Enough said. 

#word-to-words, #slice-of-life,  #blog, #blogging, #editorial, #reading, #vocabulary, #ReadersMagnet, #spilled thoughts, #good advice, #personal-essay, #writing community, #writing, #optimism, #philosophy, #truth, #everyday-philosophy 





No comments:

Post a Comment

L.A. as a Parallel Universe of New York?

  parallel universe - noun - a world conceived of as coexisting with and having certain similarities to the known world but different from i...