Share button

Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Being All in with Generosity

 

all in - fully committed to or involved in something (Google)


Last week, reluctantly, I attended yet another funeral of a dear friend who had passed away too suddenly, too young. His wife, his second–as he had lost his first, my best friend–provided an apt eulogy, commencing it with "Bobby was all in," meaning he had never done anything halfway, what some would call "half-assed." Unfortunately, it was that same never-say-die spirit that eventually contributed to his untimely demise. He passed as he was all in when it came to abusing alcohol. However, no one needs to travel this route since she or he can be "all in" in positive, practical, productive ways. And being all in when it comes to giving is one.

This past Monday was Halloween, one of my favorite days of the year as everyone and anyone can participate and enjoy the effort. Historically, the day celebrates the dead. Even the smallest and youngest of us can relate in some way to the idea of loss. What child hasn't lost something? A goldfish? An overly hugged teddy bear beyond repair? My friend Bobby loved Halloween because it provided him with a legitimate opportunity to fool others into thinking he was someone he wasn't, and he was "all in"whenever he had the chance to deceive creatively. I like the holiday because it gives me a chance to be all in to spoiling the local trick-or-treaters with movie theater boxes of candy that I procure from the local Dollar Tree at $1.25 per treat. I wind up spending about a hundred dollars because I usually get nearly a hundred costumed revelers lining up in front of my house within two hours. I spend the big bucks on the big boxes because I love to see the stunned expressions on the kids' faces: the wide eyes revealing disbelief, the mouths opening in perfect O's to admit breathy "wow's." It is as though I am handing out scratch-offs for the million-dollar lottery pay-off and each has the winning combination, so I get to witness the visual-oral thrill multiple times. It is positively exhilarating as well as heartrending.

Yet, my friends, being all in when it comes to generosity doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg monetarily. You can be all in by volunteering your time to a worthy cause or friend or family member. A life well-lived is a commitment to passion. Why not be all in with generosity? 

#word-to-words, #slice-of-life, #literature, #blog, #blogging, #books, #editorial, #reading, #vocabulary, #history, #ReadersMagnet, #spilled thoughts, #good advice, #personal-essay, #writing community, #writing



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

L.A. as a Parallel Universe of New York?

  parallel universe - noun - a world conceived of as coexisting with and having certain similarities to the known world but different from i...