Share button

Thursday, March 17, 2022

The Luck of the Irish

 

luck - noun - success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one's own actions (Google).


As today's is St. Patrick's Day, more than a few of us may be cavorting about with the taste of green beer and "May the luck of the Irish be with you!" on our lips. How did luck become associated with the Irish? I'm guessing that it might have something to do with the four-leaf cover, otherwise known as the shamrock, that I have most likely mistaken for a weed many times over while fertilizing my front lawn. Between my unintentional eradication of the symbol of good fortune and the fact that I am only a mere five percent Irish, it is no wonder I have such bad luck. 

Well, I really shouldn't say "bad luck." What I have is inconsistent luck. Something ambiguous on the horizon that may look favorable winds up being a hurricane. In my soon-to-be-released-somewhere memoir, at one point I characterize myself as Sisyphus, the figure from Greek mythology whom Zeus punishes for cheating death twice. (I actually have cheated death twice, but I leave out the episodes in the book since death is not a theme.) Ill-fated Sisyphus has to push a boulder up a hill only to step aside to see it roll back again, eliminating any progress made. Such has been my life in publishing and in show business and maybe yours in another field as well. Why? It could have something to do with predestination or luck, or the lack thereof. 

Some say that luck skips generations. They may be right. My father, for one, was a very lucky man. In 1988, he entered a local raffle and wound up winning a very luxurious Lincoln Town Car. Oddly enough, as a humble soul and fan of GM economy cars, he wasn't interested in keeping it until my mother convinced him it would be bad luck if he refused the prize. Not wanting to disappoint my mother, he kept it. Believe it or not, 34 years later, my sister owns and drives it pretty much daily. Albeit a tad rusty, the car is still very much alive and well despite the fact that neither our dad nor mom is. Whether or not the Town Car has brought my sister luck is moot. In any case, since the front end on that vehicle is a mile long, if she were to hit anything or anyone, she'd most likely wind up being the fortunate one.

I read on a fortune cookie recently that luck is brought on by one's actions, which is in direct contrast with Google's definition. Because I am the reincarnation of Sisyphus, I disagree. No matter how much effort you put into something, it does not guarantee a favorable outcome. But that doesn't mean you should pack it in and quit trying. I haven't. I'm still shouldering that boulder in hope that I will be able to reach the summit of the hill so that the rock will find itself a downhill path, and I will win the lottery of my expectations. It's possible, I guess. Just not likely. 

May the luck of the Irish be with you today (and maybe, just maybe with me)! 


#word of the day, #vocabulary, #writers, #writers and poets, #words, #inspiration, #optimism, #inspiring words, #humor, #spilled thoughts, #motivation, #inspirational thoughts, #inspiration, #inspirational words, #words of wisdom, #affirmation, #optimism, #poets and writers, #writers community, #writers, #readers #writing




No comments:

Post a Comment

Notes from the L.A. Writing Conference

  bumptious - adjective - self-assertive to an irritating degree Suffice it to say, I have been writing, publishing, and selling books since...