Share button

Thursday, December 30, 2021

Omnifarious New Year's Resolutions

 

omnifarious - adjective - comprising or relating to all sorts or varieties (Google).


If you want to get an idea of what a New Year's resolution is, all you have to do is look on Facebook. At this time of year, you'll find omnifarious ones: big/small, complex/simple, extraordinary/mundane, unique/ unoriginal, verbose/concise, etc. You get the picture. According to history.com, the Babylonians were the first to make New Year's resolutions some 4,000 years ago. Apparently, they were the originators of New Year's celebrations as well. I always figured that crew knew how to party. I'm wondering, though, whether their resolutions were similar at all to ours. If I am right that human nature doesn't change over time, then they probably were. Did they keep their resolutions or break them as we often do? Perhaps. 

Because we tend to forget during the course of a year, perhaps it is more important to note ideas for change on January 1 and reflect back on them at junctures. Even though we may not actually accomplish what we set out to do initially, at least we have a written record of our positive intentions. 

Personally, I like to keep my resolutions simple. In 2022, I will continue to strive to live my life sans complications, sans conflict. Like Ebenezer Scrooge in Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol, I will keep the spirit of the holiday (love) in my heart throughout the year. (I kind of do this materially because I Christmas shop for others throughout the year.) At the center of love is giving unconditionally without the expectation of reciprocation. 

This morning, I wrote down a passage that had been reprinted twice on FB, something that is worthy of repeating again. Unfortunately, I don't know who the originator is, but here goes:

"If you wronged me, it's all good. Lesson learned. If you're angry with me, you've won. I let it go. If we aren't speaking, it's cool. I wish you well. If you feel I've wronged you, I apologize; it wasn't intentional. Life is too short to be anything but happy and at peace."

What I like most about this staccato surrender to an unnamed former friend or family member is that the writer composed it after emptying herself/himself of herself/himself. The tone defines humility. The emphasis? "It's all good." This person understands that to be happy and at peace, concessions have to be made; onus must be taken. All of the negativity must be let go so that in retrospect, everything, even the egregious things, are "all good." (Notice how the author doesn't ask for anything in return. There are no conditions, just acceptance. There is genuine love present here.)

Maybe this year, we should all make a mutual resolution just to let go of the omnifarious, omnipresent negativities that hold us back from being our best selves, from being truly content, from loving freely sans the expectation of receiving.

Just a few thoughts on this dark, dank day in December. 

Happy New Year!!!!!!


#word of the day, #vocabulary, #writers, #writers and poets, #words, #inspiration, #optimism, #inspiring words, #humor, #spilled thoughts, #motivation, #inspirational thoughts, #inspiration, #inspirational words, #words of wisdom, #affirmation, #optimism, #poets and writers, #writers community, #writers, #readers #writing



No comments:

Post a Comment

L.A. as a Parallel Universe of New York?

  parallel universe - noun - a world conceived of as coexisting with and having certain similarities to the known world but different from i...