Share button

Thursday, October 28, 2021

A Defining Raison d'Etre

 


raison d'etre - noun - the most important reason or purpose for someone's (or something's) existence (Google).


Unfortunately, I don't speak French, but I would if I could as I find the sound of it sexy and romantic. On occasion, when reading a well-written book (usually a classic), I'll come across a French word or term and will Google its meaning. Last night, I was immersed in an oldie, but goodie, F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Beautiful and the Damned when I bumped into raison d'etre used to refer to protagonist Anthony's primary motivating purpose: to pen a tome on the Middle Ages. And I got to thinking about actual men and women who consider their pastimes or work defining since they see what they do as their raison d'etre.

I used to feel that mainly men viewed themselves as inseparable from their occupations, but now I am finding that at least two of my female friends are leaning in the same direction. Heck, I may be in the same category simply because what I do, sing, has always been a part of my internal composition. I can't remember a time when I wasn't able to perform as a vocalist. One of my close friends who dates back to high school and college (We attended the same university together.), confided in me recently that tennis is her raison d'etre. Recently, she endured elective, experimental surgery on her shoulder just because she couldn't conceive of a life devoid of playing the sport. Her new and improved shoulder should assure a few more years on the court for her. Another one of my college friends, a professional actress turned storyteller, pretty much said the same thing: that her raison d'etre is composing and telling audiences autobiographical anecdotes, and she can't imagine doing anything else as her pastime is pretty much who she is as a person. I suppose she purports to tell tall tales until she drops.  Of course, I'm just joking. I hope so anyway. 

To own a raison d'etre and/or to allow it to define you is probably a good thing. For one, if you are getting on in years, like my friends and I are, a raison d'etre allows you to move forward after getting out of bed in the morning. And sometimes, that's all you need to do. 


#word of the day, #vocabulary, #writers, #writers and poets, #words, #inspiration, #optimism, #inspiring words, #humor, #spilled thoughts, #motivation, #inspirational thoughts, #inspiration, #inspirational words, #words of wisdom, #affirmation, #optimism, #poets and writers, #writers community, #writers, #readers #writing



No comments:

Post a Comment

L.A. as a Parallel Universe of New York?

  parallel universe - noun - a world conceived of as coexisting with and having certain similarities to the known world but different from i...