Share button

Thursday, September 30, 2021

Sortilege and Selection

 


sortilege - noun - practice of foretelling the future from a card or other item drawn at random from a collection


I have to admit that I don't believe in coincidence. Things happen according to plan, not haphazardly. If you have been reading this blog consistently, you know that I have written a few paragraphs on this topic before. Over the weekend, I had the pleasure to spend time with a beautiful, hypnotically interesting man, a psycho-therapist by profession, a man whom I met forty years ago and reconnected with two years ago. I flew almost three thousand miles to be with him on his birthday this past weekend. Romantic? You betcha. But I digress in a sense. D. Rick took me to his office to give me an idea of his methodology, all legitimate but seemingly unorthodox to a layperson, which I happen to be.

 After the extremely educational tour, he resorted to sortilege (as if he needed to entertain me, which he definitely didn't because I was already way beyond the brink of fascination, at the point of no return in terms of enchantment). I chose a very tiny card from a vast selection of mates and noticed right off the bat that it had an angel on it, a symbol to which I have always been attracted. D. told me to turn it over, and when I did, I read one word: healing. Okay, didn't I just feature this concept in my last entry? Yup. Of the hundreds of cards that I could have chosen, I picked the one that has the most relevance in terms of how I spend my time these days: healing others through music. Wow. Random? It sure looks like it, that's if you believe in an accidental, incidental, desultory, fluky universe. I don't, mainly because I have no luck but also because I am the one who notices patterns. You already know this about me, though. D. Rick didn't really intend to involve sortilege as he didn't attempt to foretell my future with the card. The word had enough of a prescient presence to portend the positive so that anything he might have said would have been redundant. 

What's the takeaway? The next time someone wants to indulge you in sortilege just for fun, see if what he or she or they have to say after your choice of cards makes any sense at all when it comes down to your life, where you are in the moment. You may wind up like me, figuring out the mysteries minute by minute. Ah, what a mesmerizing ride life is! 


#word of the day, #vocabulary, #writers, #writers and poets, #words, #inspiration, #optimism, #inspiring words, #humor, #spilled thoughts, #motivation, #inspirational thoughts, #inspiration, #inspirational words, #words of wisdom, #affirmation, #optimism, #poets and writers, #writers community, #writers, #readers #writing

No comments:

Post a Comment

L.A. as a Parallel Universe of New York?

  parallel universe - noun - a world conceived of as coexisting with and having certain similarities to the known world but different from i...