Share button

Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Hopeful Dreams

 


chimera - noun - a thing that is hoped or wished for but illusory or impossible to achieve (Google)


I don't know about you, but I don't believe in chimeras. Call me naive; call me a blind optimist, but I feel that just about anything is achievable in life. You just need what it takes to realize it. 

The reason why I am standing behind Cervantes's Don Quixote as his shadow is because I happen to be my own best example that impossible dreams can come true. All my life, I have wanted to work in the music industry full time. Although I began singing professionally when I was only 22, only once did I perform full time and that situation lasted a month. Only when I retired from teaching did I dive head first into the pool of deferred dreams that had been left on the back burner to dry out like Langston Hughes's "raisin in the sun." Not only did I begin singing more and more for decent pay after I had put myself out there, I gathered up the confidence to write and record my own music, which I plan to keep doing until I drop. And at nearly 63, that may be sooner than later. BUT the point is I made it all happen. Better late than never. Okay, granted the dream was realistic as opposed to something totally farfetched, yet still. It took a lot of tenacity and hard work to get the ball rolling down my alley. 

What do you need to accomplish the impossible? Motivation and imagination are definitely key ingredients to achieving success at anything. Passion, curiosity, persistence, and creativity (all of the components that exude from an excellent college essay) have to be on board as well. All of us have the potential to summon these forces within us so that we can realize our dreams. Often, we just must own the confidence to believe that we can.

Realistically, there are chimeras out there–just not in my neck of the woods. I hope they aren't in yours either. 

#word of the day, #vocabulary, #writers, #writers and poets, #words, #inspiration, #optimism, #inspiring words, #humor, #spilled thoughts, #motivation, #inspirational thoughts, #inspiration, #inspirational words, #words of wisdom, #affirmation, #optimism, #poets and writers, #writers community, #writers, #readers #writing


No comments:

Post a Comment

L.A. as a Parallel Universe of New York?

  parallel universe - noun - a world conceived of as coexisting with and having certain similarities to the known world but different from i...