Share button

Saturday, August 14, 2021

The Daily Word for August 14, 2021

 

soul case - noun - (N. American/W. Indian) - the human body (Lexico.com)


I've always been attracted to any word related to the soul, words such as soulmate, soul-like, oversoul. Yet this term, soul case, is new to me. After today, I'll most probably remember it because it is a kenning (think Old English or Beowulf  here), a compound term with a metaphorical meaning. Simply put, the body exists to house or encase the soul, the better part of the human being. Soul case is a metaphor for the body.

Yesterday morning, I had the pleasure of spending time with a friend whom I consider to be a pure soul. The look of her soul case isn't bad either, but that is besides the point. When it comes to souls, some people have a hard time distinguishing between the pure and the impure, but I can't say I've ever had that problem. I just rely on my intuition to make my decisions for me. Over omelets Florentine at the local diner, she and I discussed the idea of the spirit, or soul, in depth, each of us pointing to the other as being a refined or model soul. I was glad to know that she perceived me in this light as we all have the tendency not to see ourselves with 20/20 vision. The feeling was mutual. We both agreed that too many people today tend to be caught up in the material world or just soul cases as opposed to souls. And that, we hope, will change. 

The takeaway here is that perhaps we should all judge each other based on the content of the soul's character and not the soul case because what is beyond the surface is what truly matters. 

Happy Saturday!

#word of the day, #vocabulary, #writers, #writers and poets, #words, #inspiration, #optimism, #inspiring words, #humor, #spilled thoughts, #motivation, #inspirational thoughts, #inspiration, #inspirational words, #words of wisdom, #affirmation, #optimism, #poets and writers, #writers community, #writers, #readers #writing

No comments:

Post a Comment

L.A. as a Parallel Universe of New York?

  parallel universe - noun - a world conceived of as coexisting with and having certain similarities to the known world but different from i...