Share button

Sunday, July 11, 2021

The Daily Word for July 11, 2021

 

buffola - (N. Amer.- informal) - a joke that gets a loud or hearty laugh (Lexico.com)


You can't read and/or pronounce buffola without thinking of buffoon. The two are related when you think about it as buffoons tend to possess a healthy repertoire of silliness; the more sophisticated may even own a few buffolas that elevate them from clowns to bonafide comedians. I don't know any buffolas worth repeating, and I don't know too many buffoons either, which may be a good thing since fools can be, well, foolish. 

Yet on occasion, I have been known to play the role of the jester myself, but only for very special people who understand that I enjoy a hearty laugh as much as anyone else. And I certainly don't mind snickering at my own homemade fun. My last surviving aunt, the wife of my deceased mother's youngest brother (also gone), just turned 91 in April. Fortunately, she's as sharp as the proverbial tack and appreciates any buffolas that you might hurl at her just because she loves to laugh. I have told her more than once that a prescription of chortling and chuckling may get her to 100, and she agrees. If I have to slip into a clown suit to make it happen, you better believe I will. I love the woman and want her around nine more years at least. 

I'm sure that you, too, act like a fool sometimes for someone's love. If you can somehow manage to keep him or her or them smiling, you don't need to know any buffolas. The best things in life, like grins and giggles, are generally free. 


Enjoy your Sunday. Make it sunny with your smiles.


#word of the day, #vocabulary, #writers, #writers and poets, #words, #inspiration, #optimism, #inspiring words, #humor, #spilled thoughts, #motivation, #inspirational thoughts, #inspiration, #inspirational words, #words of wisdom, #affirmation, #optimism, #poets and writers, #writers community, #writers, #readers #writing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Notes from the L.A. Writing Conference

  bumptious - adjective - self-assertive to an irritating degree Suffice it to say, I have been writing, publishing, and selling books since...