Share button

Wednesday, June 30, 2021

The Daily Word for June 30, 2021

 


empasm - noun - powder sprinkled on the body to prevent odor from sweating (Lexico.com)


I don't know about you, but this morning, I could've used an empasm. There are days when the deodorant from the Dollar Tree just won't cut it. Days like today, the ninety-five-plus-degree days that start with a temperature of 80 at 8 a.m. Naturally, I chose to book a tee time at 8:08, thinking I would escape the scorcher, but didn't. Although my friend and I survived playing nine holes of golf, it seems like it could be a day to hide behind the eight ball and hope that the heat will break. 

I drove home to find that a doe (yes, a deer) just figured out how to get around the vast blockade of protective netting I had erected to save my front bushes from a full-on attack, and was waiting for me inside the demilitarized zone, poised to eat everything green in sight. Somehow she broke out, leaving me frantically repairing the tears in the net and spraying Deer Off as if it were deodorant or some sort of empasm on a perspiring body. Contrarily, I left an unpleasant sent as opposed to a pleasant one, and I lost more in the way of sweat than the deer although we could've been on par, unlike my golf score. What now? A shower and some more in the way of empasms. 

If the scent of life gets too repugnant, sometimes there is a simple remedy. It might be at the Dollar Tree or it just might be in your own mind. 

Something to think about on Hump Day. 

Stay cool!


#word of the day, #vocabulary, #writers, #writers and poets, #words, #inspiration, #optimism, #inspiring words, #humor, #spilled thoughts, #motivation, #inspirational thoughts, #inspiration, #inspirational words, #words of wisdom, #affirmation, #optimism, #poets and writers, #writers community, #writers, #readers #writing


No comments:

Post a Comment

L.A. as a Parallel Universe of New York?

  parallel universe - noun - a world conceived of as coexisting with and having certain similarities to the known world but different from i...