Share button

Monday, May 24, 2021

The Daily Word for May 24, 2021

 

kenspeckle- adj. - Scottish - conspicuous or easily recognizable (lexico.com)

Ironically, the thing about the word kenspeckle is that it does reflect its meaning, but only partially. It stands out yet isn't recognizable. The Scottish have a vocabulary all their own, especially when it comes to profanity. We Americans have X-amount of "dirty words" under our belts (I'm sure you know them all), whereas the Scots have innumerable at their disposal. I know this for sure as a Welsh friend of mine and I were bored one day and decided to do the research. If you are enticed, feel free to do some Googling on the topic. The internet is at your disposal. 

To tell you the truth, I can't even remember one of the foul words, but I did walk away from that afternoon with a newfound respect for the Scottish people, who, by the way, are thinking about breaking away from the U.K. With a lexicon like theirs, they don't need to lean on England. They have all the kenspeckle vocabulary necessary to stand independently and be counted. 

To honor the Scottish logophiles' originality and inventiveness, I have a tee time at the local golf course. (Don't forget that Scotland invented the game.) Maybe I should refresh my memory and choose a few choice Scottish expletives to expound when I hook a ball into the woods? Then I could be my own version of kenspeckle. Ooo wee! I can't wait! 

Happy Monday! Today be kenspeckle, but only if your heart is into it. 

#word of the day, #vocabulary, #writers, #writers and poets, #words, #inspiration, #optimism, #inspiring words, #humor, #writers on Tumblr,

#spilled thoughts, #motivation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Notes from the L.A. Writing Conference

  bumptious - adjective - self-assertive to an irritating degree Suffice it to say, I have been writing, publishing, and selling books since...