Share button

Monday, May 10, 2021

The Daily Word for May 10, 2021

 

hiraeth - noun - homesickness for a home you can't return to or that never was, or just a deep longing for something


If you have occupied space on the planet long enough, most likely you'll encounter hiraeth. Not surprisingly, the word is Welsh, a language that I can somewhat relate to as my name is also Welsh in origin. On this second Monday in the merry month of May, I am experiencing all three facets of hiraeth simultaneously. For a year in the early 1980s, I lived and taught communications and theater in a public high school in Bucks County, PA. Although I returned to New Jersey, mainly to get married, I have never wanted to let go of the county that borders the Delaware. As a self-published author, I have found myself returning to quaint Central Bucks, that I called home, making consignment agreements with book sellers. Because my books have not sold well out there, I am reminded that perhaps one can't return to a former residence or that the home that I thought was mine, never actually was. Ergo, I now have a deep longing for what might have been: copious book sales to former students or just plain hiraeth. 

It is Monday. If hiraeth should rear its ugly head in your life today, tell it to go away. Monday is hard enough as it is. 


#word of the day, #vocabulary, #writers, #writers and poets, #words, #inspiration, #optimism, #inspiring words, #humor


#inspirational thoughts, #inspiration, #inspirational words, #words of wisdom, #affirmation, #optimism, #poets and writers, #writers community, #writers, #readers #writing #poetry #poets on tumblr #poem #authors #quotes



No comments:

Post a Comment

Notes from the L.A. Writing Conference

  bumptious - adjective - self-assertive to an irritating degree Suffice it to say, I have been writing, publishing, and selling books since...