Share button

Wednesday, April 28, 2021

The Daily Word for April 28, 2021

 

lothario - noun - man who seduces women or a man who behaves irresponsibly in his sexual relationships with women


Several years ago, I came across "lothario," I believe, while teaching Oscar Wilde's brilliantly funny, "The Importance of Being Earnest." I like the sound and sophistication of the word. That being mentioned, is the term still relevant? Wilde wrote during the Victorian era in England, which was over a hundred years ago when patriarchy was the rule, not the exception. I'm wondering whether it would be possible to update the definition to include everyone out there that is participating in sex irresponsibly? Why not be equitable? For one thing, I have known many women, straight and queer, as well as gay men that could definitely wear the name tag of Lothario. Maybe I should contact Webster's? And if I did, would I be put in the same box as all others participating in the "cancel culture"? Outmoded and/or offensive vocabulary could definitely be next in line after Washington and Lincoln, I suppose. 

Shhhh, I think I'll do nothing, but don't tell anybody. How many of the politically correct actually know of this word? Not too many. I can keep a secret if you can. LOL! 

Happy Hump Day! 


#word of the day, #vocabulary, #writers, #writers and poets, #words, #inspiration, #optimism, #inspiring words


#inspirational thoughts, #inspiration, #inspirational words, #words of wisdom, #affirmation, #optimism, #poets and writers, #writers community, #writers, #readers #writing #poetry #poets on tumblr #poem #authors #quotes


No comments:

Post a Comment

L.A. as a Parallel Universe of New York?

  parallel universe - noun - a world conceived of as coexisting with and having certain similarities to the known world but different from i...