Share button

Thursday, April 22, 2021

The Daily Word for April 22, 2021 (Earth Day)

 


gelid - adjective - very cold

Last night, I picked up my book club's selection, a paperback copy of Richard Yates's The Easter Parade, which is a fascinating study in character, and found myself absorbed in the prose, written circa mid-1970's. Eighty pages in, I noted a word that I had never before seen: gelid ("with an editor's gelid eye").

 Waking up to a gelid Earth Day, 40 degrees here in Jersey, I thought, Why not feature a word that could be used to refer to more than one kind of cold? Practical gelid can be used to modify any noun. Think about it. Any creature can give you the cold shoulder. Consider this: After turning his nose up at the inedible Alpo, my dachshund shot me a gelid glance. Works for me. Naturally, temperatures just about anywhere these days can run hot and gelid as well. All people, friends, family, and lovers included, can be gelid depending upon the circumstances. Human nature is never consistent. Even ideas can get a tad gelid if the bearers are moody. Have I convinced you to embrace the term and include it in your daily lexicon? Sure, but remember to create balance by including "warm" somewhere as well. 

Friday is almost here, but enjoy the prelude. Happy Earth Day! `Appreciate the sun and its ability to erase that gelid feeling. 

#word of the day, #vocabulary, #writers, #writers and poets, #words, #inspiration, #optimism, #inspiring words


#inspirational thoughts, #inspiration, #inspirational words, #words of wisdom, #affirmation, #optimism, #poets and writers, #writers community, #writers, #readers #writing #poetry #poets on tumblr #poem #authors #quotes



No comments:

Post a Comment

L.A. as a Parallel Universe of New York?

  parallel universe - noun - a world conceived of as coexisting with and having certain similarities to the known world but different from i...