Share button

Tuesday, April 20, 2021

The Daily Word for April 20, 2021

 

bedizen - verb - to dress gaudily 


Most likely like you, as a child I liked to play dress up. I would go through my mother's closet to find remnants of glamour– a crinoline skirt, her wedding veil, stiletto pumps–and I would festoon my little body with all of it until it was hardly recognizable. Some things never change as I still enjoy bedizening. When I perform before unusual audiences, like senior citizens, abused women and children, I like to provide them with more than a song and dance routine. I gift their eyes Las Vegas and don gaudy sequins in red and black, becoming a human spotlight, but just for kicks (and I throw in a few of them during "These Boots Were Made for Walkin'" just for fun). 

Other than performers like myself, does anyone care to bedizen themselves with somewhat plastic, yet attractive finery? Maybe the kids on TikTok, who need to impress to find followers, but the average person on the street? Nope. No way. 

I don't know about you, but I fantasize about seeing a sea of people dressed to the nines cascading down Fifth Avenue on an average day, wearing decorative masks, if necessary, that complement the outfits. Okay, I have high aesthetic values and am, admittedly, a tad superficial, but wouldn't it just be a sight for sore eyes? Mine could sure use a salve in the way of high-end fashion. Guess I'll keep imagining...

Enjoy Tuesday.

#word of the day, #vocabulary, #writers, #writers and poets, #words, #inspiration, #optimism, #inspiring words


#inspirational thoughts, #inspiration, #inspirational words, #words of wisdom, #affirmation, #optimism, #poets and writers, #writers community, #writers, #readers #writing #poetry #poets on tumblr #poem #authors #quotes





No comments:

Post a Comment

L.A. as a Parallel Universe of New York?

  parallel universe - noun - a world conceived of as coexisting with and having certain similarities to the known world but different from i...