Share button

Sunday, February 21, 2021

The Daily Word for February 21, 2021

 


euphoria - n. - state of intense elation 


Like many of you, I can't quite remember the last time I was immersed in over-the-top euphoria. It might have been at my retirement party in June of 2019. Perhaps serendipitously, I stepped aside as a teacher of secondary English a few years before most would have, and was one of the last to enjoy a celebration in my honor with many colleagues, friends, and family members present and recognizable as it was pre-COVID-19. No one needed to wear a mask. Ironically, as the theme was the Roaring Twenties, many could have worn any kind of facial covering and would not have been judged as odd. There was quite a bit of freedom back then that we took advantage of unconsciously, resulting in blind euphoria.

Maybe like most of you, I am wondering whether there will ever be a return to "normalcy" or whether the rules have changed permanently. Will we ever be able to experience collective, blind euphoria in large groups again? If we won't, is it possible to feel euphoria under different circumstances? Of course there is. The course to that destination involves modification of one's expectations. For example, euphoria can evolve easily from a one-on-one communication depending on the players and the topics of conversation. As long as there is the potential to laugh, there is the potential for instant euphoria. Lately, I find myself laughing alone at the satirical cartoons in The New Yorker.  So what? I'll take what I can get. Perhaps you can buy a thrill after all. 


#inspirationalthoughts, #inspiration, #inspirationalwords, #wordsofwisdom, #affirmation, #optimism, #poetsandwriters, #writerscommunity, #writers, #readers 

No comments:

Post a Comment

L.A. as a Parallel Universe of New York?

  parallel universe - noun - a world conceived of as coexisting with and having certain similarities to the known world but different from i...