Share button

Tuesday, February 2, 2021

The Daily Word 

for February 2, 2021
by Gwyn English Nielsen

manna - noun - food from God

Years ago, I read a poem written by a luminous poet. In it, manna was used metaphorically to refer to snow. As I was shoveling the twenty inches that has fallen since Sunday here in New Jersey, I couldn’t help but recall the reference along with a more literal image of the distant past: one of me eating snow as a child. Although I wouldn’t brave it today, the metaphor is certainly apt. Snow, pure and white, is a natural wonder and is probably the closest thing we have to manna. 

Just something small to smile about today. 


#inspiration. #words. #poets. #writers. #readers. #vocabulary 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

L.A. as a Parallel Universe of New York?

  parallel universe - noun - a world conceived of as coexisting with and having certain similarities to the known world but different from i...