Share button

Thursday, February 11, 2021

The Daily Word for February 11, 2021

 


Perhaps this blog is starting to seep into my subconscious as last night I dreamt I was playing soccer on a British team (this is laughable because I'm far too old to reach this height and am American to boot), and I found myself in a conflict with another player over the meaning of a word:


lolly - British, informal - noun. 1. a lollipop or Popsicle. 2. money.


My contrary teammate argued that lolly simply means lollipop, whereas I insisted it is an abbreviated form of loiter, or "hanging out." For example, "I like to lolly about the back end of the convenience store with my mates in summer," Oddly enough, I think I even gave this example to my colleague in the dream. Inadvertently, I probably invented a neologism, or made-up term. I understand where the British theme came from because just before bed, my daughter and I were watching the series "Howard's End" on Starz, but the origin of "lolly" in the dream is a mystery. Hmmm. 

How does lolly fit into the purpose of this inspirational blog? Well, lollipops, Popsicles, and money are all optimistic images as all satiate the soul on some level. Right? Hold onto that thought, grab yourself a lollipop, some money, and enjoy your Thursday! 


#inspirationalthoughts, #inspiration, #inspirationalwords, #wordsofwisdom, #affirmation, #optimism, #poetsandwriters, #writerscommunity, #writers, #readers 

No comments:

Post a Comment

L.A. as a Parallel Universe of New York?

  parallel universe - noun - a world conceived of as coexisting with and having certain similarities to the known world but different from i...